Privacy Statement of Saronsberries (Pty) Ltd
Purpose of this statement
In our continued pursuit to be the leading African producer of blueberries we also recognise that compliance with South African legislation should be integral to all our actions. Saronsberries (Pty) Ltd is committed to demonstrating our compliance with the Protection of Personal Information Act 4 of 2013 (“POPIA”) and treat your personal information as confidential.
Collection of Personal Information
We process your personal information directly from you, in the course of providing our services to you or your entity, and in conducting general communication with us, including in the course of applying for employment with us.
In addition, we may also collect information from you when you visit our website or any of our social media platforms, and when you subscribe to any of our publications.
In compliance with Regulations issued in terms of the Disaster Management Act, we will also collect certain information from you when you visit our premises.
What Personal Information do we process?
In general, we will collect your personal information in so far that it is necessary to protect your legitimate interest or carry out our obligations in terms of our contract with you. Examples of the personal information that we may collect are as follows:
- An identifying number such as an ID number or company registration number.
- Contact details such as an e-mail address, physical address and postal address.
- Education and employment history when you apply for employment.
- Financial information.
- Correspondence of a private or confidential nature.
In general, we do not process the personal information of children or any special personal information. If we need to, we will obtain your consent and will only process the information subject to the conditions as set out in POPIA.
We may be required to share your personal information with third parties if:
- The law requires it.
- We have obtained your consent to do it.
- In order to comply with our duties in terms of our contract with you.
- Upon request from regulatory authorities.
The third parties may include, but are not limited to:
- South African Revenue Services.
- The Information Regulator of South Africa.
- Department of Labour (if you are an employee).
- Certification bodies.
- Accountants and/or auditors.
- Suppliers (for purposes of credit applications).
Where we do engage with third parties we will ensure, to the extent required by applicable law, that they only process your personal information in line with the conditions set out in POPIA and that appropriate security measures are in place to protect your personal information from unauthorised access.
Transborder information flows
We do not transfer your personal information to parties outside of South Africa. If we need to, we will obtain your consent and we are required to ensure that the party, to whom the information is being transferred, is subject to law, has internal policies in place or agreements that provide for protection of personal information in a similar way as POPIA.
In terms of POPIA you have certain rights in respect of the personal information we processed:
- You have the right to access the personal information we hold about you.
- You can request us to correct or update your personal information.
- You can object to the way we process your personal information.
- You have the right to ask us to delete your personal information. This is, however, subject to our obligation in terms of certain legislation to keep record of the information collected for a longer period.
- You can complain to us about the way we process your personal information. If we cannot resolve your complaint, you may submit a compliant to the Information Regulator of South Africa.
We have implemented reasonable and appropriate technical and organisational measures to ensure the integrity and confidentiality of your personal information we hold. This is to prevent the loss, damage, destruction, or unlawful access to your personal information.
If we, on reasonable grounds believe that an unauthorised person has gained access to your personal information, we will notify you and the Information Regulator, unless the Information Regulator or the responsible investigating authority instructs us otherwise.
Our website uses cookie technology. When you visit our website, cookies are placed on your device. You can alter your settings to prevent the automatic acceptance. If you choose not to accept cookies, this may disable some features of our website. The information collected may be about your device or your preferences and browsing habits.
Our website may also have links to websites or platforms that we do not operate and for which privacy and security policies we are not responsible. Please familiarise yourself with the privacy and security policies of these websites and platforms.
Right to change the Privacy Statement
Please take note that we may review and update this statement from time to time for any of the following reasons:
- Changes in legislation and regulatory requirements.
- Changes in technology that impact the way we process your personal information.
- To promote fairness and plain language principles.
- Any other reason that Saronsberries may deem to be reasonable and necessary.
The latest version will be published on our website and replaces any previous versions.
Please contact us should you have any questions regarding this statement and the exercise if your rights in terms of POPIA at the following address:
The Information Officer
Saronsberries (Pty) Ltd